Monday, November 26, 2012

Thoughts on parenting from a new mom

I have been a mom for almost 8 weeks and have learned a lot. In my pre-baby life, I tried to make environmentally responsible decisions and considered the impact that my choices would have on the environment.  I have also always been a believer that less is more, especially when it comes to chemicals and additives in products, which can be harmful to our health and to the environment.  I knew that having a baby and maintaining the integrity of my environmental conscience would be tough, but there were many things that I did not consider. 
  • Many environmentally friendly choices take more time, e.g. making your own baby wipes
  • Many environmentally friendly products cost more money, e.g. seventh generation diapers
  • Parents don't have a lot of time
  • Parents don't have a lot of energy
  • Ecomonic times are hard
  • Deciding to become a one income family, even if temporarily, means cutting costs wherever possible
I am hoping to use this blog to share some of the environmental efforts that I am making with my daughter, myself, and my family, but I am also planning to analyze the economics behind them; are they comparable to the less eco-friendly options, and the true environmental impact that the choices are having; does it make a difference?

I hope that this information will be helpful to others and that it will motivate me, and you, to put the little energy that you have where it counts. 

I am going to start this week with some experimentation on making my own disposable baby wipes... we will see how it goes. 

1 comment:

  1. I eventually switched to Earth's Best diapers for Will and felt much better about it, except for the cost. You've got it right - having kids makes it much harder to balance responsibility with convenience and cost. I haven't done so well in some areas, but I pack a waste-free lunch for James every single day - no baggies! I'm proud of that.

    ReplyDelete