Friday, February 15, 2013

Homemade cleaners

So, although I have been very lazy about blogging, I have been continuing on my quest for cost effective natural cleaners.  First, I should mention that the Dr. Bronners soap alone as a laundry detergent was a bust when it came to getting out the yellow baby poo stains.  So, I am now using an eco cleaner from Costco which I have noticed has a scent, so I will need to replace that.  I might break down and make my own from one of the more labor intensive recipes where you grate up a bar of Dr. Bronners.  I did get a great tip from Suzanne, of Organic Mamas, that hanging the diaper covers in the sun does wonders for getting rid of the yellow stains and eliminating the dingy element that was creeping into my laundry.  This seems to be helping and gave me the motivation that I needed to get an outdoor drying rack, which I have been planning to do for ages. 

In other cleaning news, I have started using a simple toilet bowl/ bathtub cleaning regimen that I am loving!  I just squirt vinegar, which I have poured into this little squirt bottle and left in my bathroom, around the bowl or tub (or sink, for that matter) and then sprinkle with baking soda.  Wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off with a cloth or toilet brush and rinse.  Make sure to rinse well because leftover baking soda grit is no fun for taking a bath.  We are always struggling with soap scum in the corners of the tub and this took it right off! 

I am also planning to start an Etsy shop to sell homemade baby clothes and beauty products; moisturizers, deodorants, etc.  I am trying to come up with a clever name for the shop.  Would welcome any suggestions!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment